Friday 9 October 2015

EXPERIENCING THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT.
Erik Cheong, (Mission Team member to Nepal–December 2014)

Everything made sense and I connected all the dots when I began life as a born again Christian. Even as a non-believer, God shone His light on me, looked out for me, guided me through my many challenges, granted my heart’s desires and gently led me along the path straight to Him. Being a young Christian, I was privileged enough to be part of two mission trips, Myanmar in 2013 and more recently, Nepal in December 2014. The trip to Myanmar was in the capacity of a photographer, when I was still a non-believer. There is no other way to describe a non-believer going on a mission trip, other than it being all part of God’s plans. It was a fulfilling purpose being able to capture images throughout the mission trip, more so when on landing back in Malaysia from my first mission trip ever, to Myanmar, Ps Eric Fung prayed for me and I invited Jesus into my heart right there in the arrival hall of the airport. Praise the Lord!

My recent trip to Kathmandu, Nepal is still very vivid. Kathmandu is surrounded by poverty; you can see it and feel it everywhere you go. From the intermittent blackouts, the brown water, the dusty streets, poorly paved roads, to the street kids working for a meal a day; it was always a feeling of hopelessness and despair from any first impression. Thapathali Slum, or what I would call the “slum of all slums”, is located right in the heart of Kathmandu under a bridge and right next to the Bagmati River. Now this heavily polluted river has human excrement, factory waste and dead animals floating in it and yet this is the Slum Dwellers only supply of water. Their homes are shacks literally made out of plastic sheets and cardboards. What we call rubbish is what the slum dwellers call home. Winters can be harsh without electricity and clean water and I am simply unable to comprehend the hardships and struggles of the people here. Similarly in Myanmar, underlying all the doom and gloom, I find a lot of hope and optimism, with God working out His plans for these people.

 Our mission trip included the distribution of donated blankets, winter wear, food and chocolates for the children. In the middle of the slum lies a Church established by Asian Outreach and National Mission Commission (NMC) of Nepal. The Church blends in to the surroundings, maybe different by being slightly larger than their huts. Once inside however, the place was filled with warmth and love as I saw about forty kids of different ages, diligently learning their lessons of the day from devoted teachers and writing on to their writing pads intently. Yes, all this in a slum. As the mission trip ventured into another slum (Godawari), local ministries and churches, one thing was prevalent and that was the selflessness and devotion of the pastors, volunteer teachers and all of God’s faithful servants. They work tirelessly and relentlessly, by sowing the seeds of Love, Faith and Hope. Instead of wandering aimlessly with no apparent future the kids now have a ‘Safe Haven’ where they can be nurtured —physically, emotionally and spiritually. I can visualize God’s will, as my first year relationship with Him continues to grow and I learn and reflect from the Nepalese people and the awesome mission team, praying and aspiring to the attributes in:  Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." 



No comments:

Post a Comment